John Venema

Project A

308 posts in this topic

ID: 281   Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, caaront said:

This will be my hop in and fly vfr, low and slow or fast. I cannot wait to get it going, most likely early afternoon tomorrow.

 

Sometimes I care less about systems, I just want to fly, with pretty stuff to see, and smoothness, and I am positive this will fit the bill.

 

 

Well, it's funny: I expected this to be my low and slow sim, because of the kind of scenery and because the planes are quite simple so GA planes, being 'simple' in real life too, come closer to a real life experience than one of the airliners, which are all pretty basic and obviously miss more functionality. But I've been flying the Airbus almost exclusively...! Even though its systems are basic and (I have to say) sometimes wrong, I figured out how to handle it and it has managed modes (including automated speeds, etc.) and the basics I need to fly it. But I also found the scenery shines at higher altitudes (where the total lack of 3D stuff can't really be noticed). Besides, I never ever in my life experienced an Airbus with such smoothness. Obviously because the systems are basic but it no matter what, all the Airbusses I've flown in other sims gave me flights that were lacking smoothness. I simply LOVE being able to fly an Airbus with utterly smooth performance now! The last days my cruising altitude has come down to a not too realistic FL100 to FL150 because at that altitude I can see the mountains better... seeing them pass by smooooooooooothly is so great...!!! Somehow thanks to the smoothness and of course the photoreal everything seems quite realistic. (Well, until I have to land... I just can't get used to those flat cities... I try to avoid flying over big cities.)

 

Anyway, I also love the 'hop in' aspect of AFS2: you are flying within seconds. Awesome. Changing planes or location or whatever setting is also done in no time. Such a relief. I am of course curious to see what will happen to the speed of AFS2 when deeper systems are being added and more complex scenery. What I am MOST curious about is where the first Orbx 100 GB region will be located... :rolleyes:;)

Edited by J van E
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, John Venema said:

I use a bluetooth Xbox One controller which has 14 assignable buttons. I program it to do everything I need to do including flaps, throttle, pedals, trim, change time of day, undercarriage, camera views etc and this allows me to stay inside VR the entire time. The AFS2 menus are already mapped to the Xbox One Select, D-pad and A buttons so even changing location, weather, aircraft, settings, is all done without leaving VR.

 

It's definitely one of the most well thought out VR interfaces.

 

Now see, I was actually afraid to mention the Xbox controller because to some that just screams "game" and is kind of sacrilegious in flight sims. ;)

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Now see, I was actually afraid to mention the Xbox controller because to some that just screams "game" and is kind of sacrilegious in flight sims. ;)

 

The XBox controller is also my primary flight controller, mostly for comfort and convenience. :)  Along with a Saitek throttle quadrant.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2017 at 4:17 AM, Ken Hall said:

that should work ok Jack maybe get a 1080 but not necessary.

Hi Ken.  I have been following this thread for a long time.  Perhaps you can answer a question I have.

If you're wearing the Rift or whatever VR system you have is it possible to use, by feel, sight unseen, the Saitek yoke and throttle?  I get the feeling when reading these posts that when you're in VR you do not have access to hardware?  I'm confused.  I'd like to try this and maybe get a VR.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

 

Now see, I was actually afraid to mention the Xbox controller because to some that just screams "game" and is kind of sacrilegious in flight sims. ;)

 

 

The P3D development team uses Xbox One controllers, as did the Microsoft team and I know many other devs do. There is nothing to be embarrassed about it - you have 14 assignable buttons and two analog sticks, just about the perfect controller for FS development (slew mode has its own map for instance, makes it a breeze to move with cm accuracy over scenery).  Add wireless bluetooth and once you learn the buttons, you never need to take the VR headset off again.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 286   Posted (edited)

Yes get a rift, you will not be dissipointed  provided your pc is up to it.

 

Using AeroflyFS2 in VR will actually feel like a different sim compared to using it with a desktop screen There is really no comparison except that the menus interface is the same.The main difference with the rift is that you are very much part of the scene looking out whereas with a desk top screen you are out of the scene looking in. I fly a small ga aircraft in real life and am amazed with the feeling in VR, everything appears real size and so true it actually feels real.

 

What is astonishing is the quality of the aircrafts and cockpits, some of the textures are so breathtaking you can actually feel them. All this is with default aircraft remember so we are in for a real treat when other aircraft  developers and Orbx join in to make the VR world as real as possible.

 

I could write pages on the joys of flying in VR except to say wow this is something else, it really has to be experienced to be believed:)

 

 

Edited by pipeorgan
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use an Xbox One controller, and it works great... no reason not to consider it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woo Hoo! It's finally at 80% and saying it needs 3.8 hours to finish, nope 14.5 hours, oh 8.7 hours, okay, now it's back to 3 hours, no, now it needs 5 hours...

 

Going to go eat and do laundry.

 

It will be worth the wait, lol.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, caaront said:

Woo Hoo! It's finally at 80% and saying it needs 3.8 hours to finish, nope 14.5 hours, oh 8.7 hours, okay, now it's back to 3 hours, no, now it needs 5 hours...

 

Going to go eat and do laundry.

 

It will be worth the wait, lol.

 

LOL

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pipeorgan said:

Yes get a rift, you will not be dissipointed  provided your pc is up to it.

 

Using AeroflyFS2 in VR will actually feel like a different sim compared to using it with a desktop screen There is really no comparison except that the menus interface is the same.The main difference with the rift is that you are very much part of the scene looking out whereas with a desk top screen you are out of the scene looking in. I fly a small ga aircraft in real life and am amazed with the feeling in VR, everything appears real size and so true it actually feels real.

 

What is astonishing is the quality of the aircrafts and cockpits, some of the textures are so breathtaking you can actually feel them. All this is with default aircraft remember so we are in for a real treat when other aircraft  developers and Orbx join in to make the VR world as real as possible.

 

I could write pages on the joys of flying in VR except to say wow this is something else, it really has to be experienced to be believed:)

 

 

 

You are making it very hard NOT to buy a Rift now... My current PC however is only just keeping the fps at 120 in certain circumstances... I think I need a new GPU first (I have a GTX780 now) but a 1080 costs as much as the Rift does... First world problems. ;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Hi Ken.  I have been following this thread for a long time.  Perhaps you can answer a question I have.

If you're wearing the Rift or whatever VR system you have is it possible to use, by feel, sight unseen, the Saitek yoke and throttle?  I get the feeling when reading these posts that when you're in VR you do not have access to hardware?  I'm confused.  I'd like to try this and maybe get a VR.

Flying VR you only need set up essential controls, I use flaps landing gear trim and i know where these buttons are on my joystick no need to jump our to look at the keyboard, you can program as many functions as you can remember but I keep it simple, I fly mostly short 30 min flights as VR is quite taxing, your brain will work harder than you think, reminds me of when I was learning to fly, an hour of ccts practicing landings and my brain was fried. But hell this is what we want ,RIGHT, to feel all the pressure of flying an aircraft, on the plus side, your landings will improve as having a 3D view to judge things is how it should be.

cheers

Ken

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J van E said:

 

You are making it very hard NOT to buy a Rift now... My current PC however is only just keeping the fps at 120 in certain circumstances... I think I need a new GPU first (I have a GTX780 now) but a 1080 costs as much as the Rift does... First world problems. ;)

 

Yes the problem is always cash but with a 1080, which I would very much like myself, the rift with AerofltFF2 would rock and roll:)

 

 I very much hope that you will find a way as your always very interesting and informative posts will then be taken to  another level;)

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I love it, but on a 55" HDTV screen the AA is a little wavy, but figure a 24" monitor, even at 1080 will look very good.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 294   Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, caaront said:

Well, I love it, but on a 55" HDTV screen the AA is a little wavy, but figure a 24" monitor, even at 1080 will look very good.

 

You'll find that Nvidia control panel AA settings work well. I suggest Using "enhance the application setting" with 4X for starters.

Edited by HiFlyer
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will try, thanks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would one of you kindly consider giving, not lending, me about £2000 please so I can join in the fun. I will need a 4K monitor, a 1080 GPU, and a VR set please. I will of course buy my own XBox controller !

Many thanks:D

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pipeorgan said:

 

 I very much hope that you will find a way as your always very interesting and informative posts will then be taken to  another level;)

 

 

 

Haha, thank you. We'll see... 

 

58 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

Would one of you kindly consider giving, not lending, me about £2000 please so I can join in the fun. I will need a 4K monitor, a 1080 GPU, and a VR set please. I will of course buy my own XBox controller !

Many thanks:D

 

Whenever I win the lottery I will send you a PM. ;) However, if you really want to go the VR way you don't need a 4K monitor (you will be using the Rift all the time) and the Rift comes with an XBox controller already... ^_^ 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks JvE, your info has saved me the cost of a XBox controller. Now I am on a roll !!

 So the "giving" amount has decreased by several hundreds of ££££s. Maybe that will encourage more potential donors :lol:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjaycee1 said:

Would one of you kindly consider giving, not lending, me about £2000 please so I can join in the fun. I will need a 4K monitor, a 1080 GPU, and a VR set please. I will of course buy my own XBox controller !

Many thanks:D

I am sure Mark Zuckerberg would love the publicity of giving away an Oculus Rift to a flight sim enthusiast

Just take this article into consideration so you can minimise surveillance

http://www.roadtovr.com/virtual-reality-augmented-reality-privacy-policies-voices-of-vr-sarah-downey/

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 300   Posted (edited)

I am loving Aerofly FS 2, and got motivated to go buy a 27" monitor (1080p, I am poor guys, LOL) because I was beginning to wonder if the details would be clearer on it up close than they they are on a 55"HDTV up close.

 

(Please don't say I should have gotten a 4K monitor, I know they remove the need for AA settings and such, but I have a GTX 670 GPU, and would have not been happy quite yet.

 

I want to have the rift one day also, but for either direction I do not have the funds, and will not for some time.

 

A new GPU, a new 4K monitor, then the rift cost, it is impossible to even think of 4K or VR right now.)

 

They are, it was a good buy, I just need to get used to seeing things smaller now.

 

But there are already benefits, some huge.

 

I miss the large size VC, but also realized though that sitting 2'-3' away from the 55" screen was messing with my eyes, and the smaller screen looks more detailed and crisp.

 

Aerofly FS 2, P3D, and X-plane all look great, there is still some waviness from AA and such but it is much less pronounced.

 

My biggest plus right now is that I am finally using Track IR 5 like it was meant to be used.

 

To use it properly the T-IR camera needs to be slightly above you head/hat with track clip, but I have had it 2' above my head 2'-3' feet away.

 

That caused it to be very wacky at times, including not zooming straight in or out as you moved forward and backward, it would go wonky, it was the same for tilting you head to the side, etc...

 

Well, it is perfectly set up now and when centered it stays there and all movements are nice and the way they should be.

 

The greatest plus, later on is after the wife and I get a new place we will have the TV free to watch, and will be able to use it on our new cabinet/stand/fireplace.

Edited by caaront
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can vouch for the quality of the VC when using a UHD 4K monitor (Acer CB280HK) with an nVidia 970. Compared to the best I have with P3D or FSX the gauges are as clear as I have ever seen in a sim. Even these aging eyes can see the numbers!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my go to VFR sim right now, and I fly 99.999% VFR flights.

 

I will still get FTX Lowi on day for for P3D.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To J van E: You might consider posting your tutorial somewhere on this forum as well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am excited by this sim, more than any other, I can hardly wait to experience FTX in it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

To J van E: You might consider posting your tutorial somewhere on this forum as well.

 

 

Done!

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Thanks guys for your replies and advice re. controllers. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.