Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bvdboomen

Some RL Chinook action

22 posts in this topic

ID: 1   Posted (edited)

My biggest passion is aviation photography. I love to chase military helicopters in the wild and my country, The Netherlands, has nice opportunities to do so.

As requested, hereby some RL photos of Chinooks I've captured.

1. The most immersive way to photograph a Chinook!

1.jpg

2. And when you're lucky, it's packed with boots.

2.jpg

3. It will sound unbelievable but this one is taken from outside the base while the Chinook is on base. Taken last 5th of January BTW.

3.jpg

4. These two left packed with boots while I was on base.

4.jpg

5. Chinooks are so versatile! I love to see them at work!

5.jpg

Cheers,

Ben.

Edited by bvdboomen

Thanks for posting these Ben they are top class photos.

I don't get to see Chinooks often but my fondest memory of them was at the Australian Bicentennial Air Show in 1988 at Richmond. Two of them put on an astounding performance and along with the Caribou they were the highlight of the day for me.

Staggering images and thanks for sharing! :)

Very nice pics!

Kev

All great photos.
Excellent angles of catches.
I really liked all of them.

Voyager

Really cool - thanks for sharing

High-test images of course!

Great shots, love the first one.  I too enjoy the same and here is one of a Chinook I got on Salisbury Plain...

XrHYQM8.jpg

Great photos! We had chinooks flying very low over our school when I was a kid. Part of the fun of the school being right next to an army base. They are awesome aircraft!!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Amazing shots of highest quality, Ben - thank you for showing them.

Isn´t the Chinook already in the age of most of us here - and still a valuable toy (also like most of us)?

I love love love the Chinook....I have walked into, walked out of, run into, run out of, jumped out of and even shot out of the Chinook more times than I can remember. My three top helo flights of ALL hundreds of helo flights I have been on are ALL Chinook flights. I have seen that bird do things that helicopters should not do. Great pics of a great Helicopter! I wish I could share some of the pics from my history with the Chinook, but because of my job I cannot do that. I can tell some good Chinook stories though, if anyone ever wants to hear. What a bird....

Awesome shots Ben and Graeme, you have some mighty powerful V keys there!B)

Super shot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben

7 hours ago, Matthew Webb said:

Great photos! We had chinooks flying very low over our school when I was a kid. Part of the fun of the school being right next to an army base. They are awesome aircraft!!

Was that at Watsonia Matthew?

Was that at Watsonia Matthew?

Up in Brisbane in Ashgrove actually. I've been around.

Thank you guys!

11 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Isn´t the Chinook already in the age of most of us here - and still a valuable toy (also like most of us)?

The green ones on my pictures are indeed old, half of them 42 years (the one on picture #3), but completely rebuild and modernized to D-model by Boeing in 1995. We got them from the Canadian Forces. The other half were newly purchased but in the meantime already 20 years old (picture #1). We have purchased another six Chinooks (F-model) in 2010 which are the grey ones in the photos. In 2019, 14 new Chinooks will arrive.

It's just like the F-16 and C-130 Hercules. Both old but still being enhanced and newly produced.

Sniper31, I bet you have real nice photographs from much closer then I can ever take! :) I understand that you can't post them here.

I have not been able to photograph my closest encounters with Chinooks since my shortest lens is 100mm and therefor not possible when they fly just three meters above my head! :blink: 

However, I did an Apache once with only 30mm and that was quiet immersive I can tell you. Had to stop photographing and cover myself and camera due to the enormous downwash while taking off.

IMG_4663.jpg

Cheers,

Ben.

8 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

However, I did an Apache

Interesting camouflage, best suited for oranje-swart background...!

11 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

However, I did an Apache once with only 30mm and that was quiet immersive I can tell you. Had to stop photographing and cover myself and camera due to the enormous downwash while taking off.

That is quite an nice picture of the Apache. I am all too aware of how strong the rotor wash is with those birds.....quick funny story on that very subject:

So, it's 1990 in Saudi Arabia, I am a very young Soldier....it's winter, and my team is living in a hole in the ground in the desert along a border with another country that invaded someone. The night before we experienced a torrential downpour that flooded our hole. So, the next morning we had laid out all our kit, uniforms and equipment on some rocks nearby. My team leader had wrapped a small brown towel around his waist, and was wearing only his combat boots and a brown rag on his head, while the rest of his stuff was drying out. After a bit, we heard some choppers coming, which turned out to be a pair of AH-64 B models coming to land near us so the pilots could attend the Air Mission brief for our upcoming mission. Well, they didn't want to land near out HQ tents, so they picked an area near some rocks. The same rocks that our stuff was drying on. Now, most people would hunker down once they realized two powerful attack choppers are about to land next to them, but my team leader....no, not his style. He though this was a great opportunity to get some video of some Apaches. Now this is 1990, so the video cameras, as many of you remember, were not too compact, So there he is, combat boots, brown towel, brown rag on his head and a larger video camera in both hands filming these birds coming in. At the last second, they see our stuff and us, pull back on the cyclic and flare. We are immediately hit with hurricane force rotor wash, sending ALL our drying gear flying to the four corners of the desert. And then there is my team leader, standing in nothing but a cloud of dust and sand, combat boots and a video camera, his brown towel and rag swiftly blown off to who knows where. He didn't miss a frame though, and filmed those birds to touch down, waited for them to spool down, and then walked over to the pilots, shook their hands and gave them a big 'thank you' for not landing on him. :)

Lovely story Sniper. Actually I was "next door" as a hostage at the time you write about. Interesting times eh !

ID: 20   Posted (edited)

Gerold, That color scheme used to be our Demo Apache. But the chopper is all green nowadays.

Truly an amazing story Sniper!

Due to my experiences with the downwash of helicopters I can see it all before me! :D

36 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

Actually I was "next door" as a hostage at the time you write about.

I've read a book written by John Peters and John Nichol about them being captured. Mr. Peters was at a seminar here in The Netherlands and told the whole story. He became the most known face of that period and sold copies of the book which of course he signed.

Cheers,

Ben.

Edited by bvdboomen

Great pictures and story, my time with helicopter's were with Puma's and Souix. They are great things to  travel in

10 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

I've read a book written by John Peters and John Nichol about them being captured. Mr. Peters was at a seminar here in The Netherlands and told the whole story. He became the most known face of that period and sold copies of the book which of course he signed.

I am very familiar with this story. Much of my military career has had me operating on small teams, so that story is one we have used over and over for lessons learned, things that they did good that we could learn from, etc.

11 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

Lovely story Sniper. Actually I was "next door" as a hostage at the time you write about. Interesting times eh !

I would very much enjoy sitting down with you over a pint (or ten) and sharing stories. It seems likely that we may have chewed up some of the same ground.