Richard Bui

FTX Global Auroras - Northern Lights

68 posts in this topic

Wow! This will be dynamic! Awesome idea. 

Love it.

I can see the monthly Screenshot Contest having quite a few of them.:)

Looking very good.

TTM

Very nice Richard!

I really like the aurora in your ENJA scenery and look forward to being able to enjoy them over a much larger area.

What a fantastic idea!  They look spectacular already.

Cheers,

Great idea, Richard!  Well done sir.

Those screenies look pretty amazing Richard. This will really help to add to the feeling of the northern areas. 

That is great, thank you Richard. Another excellent idea and product from Orbx.

Beautiful, this will surely enhance our already loved Norway and Iceland. Looking forward!

A huge thank you, Richard. i was really looking forward to this after having experienced it first time with your wonderful ENJA scenery

Excellent idea Richard, a good way to get me to do some flying in the dark!

Great idea but only one remark - Estonia is in the  Northen Lights region but there has never been a  Auroras Borealis !

16 minutes ago, miinuskolm said:

Great idea but only one remark - Estonia is in the  Northen Lights region but there has never been a  Auroras Borealis !

In 2016, some exceptional solar activities are seen in North Europe by night with clear skies. That recently happened in France so why not in Estonia. The event keeps rare but not impossible.

Northern Lights in Normandy (France):

JdLfT.jpg

Wow, looks stunning. How does it impact performance?

Wouaw ! Wonderful if this utility can be used on a polar flight !?

Dom Mason

You mention in the OP that in real life these are rare to see.

Will this increase the chance outside of reality to see these or does it keep it real and rare as you state?

3 hours ago, Er!k said:

Wow, looks stunning. How does it impact performance?

Should be smooth. Less than crossing a fog

28 minutes ago, briansommers said:

You mention in the OP that in real life these are rare to see.

Will this increase the chance outside of reality to see these or does it keep it real and rare as you state?

In RL, having opportunity to see one is like winning a bet with a horse race. Parameters to consider are:

- location on Earth

- visibility of the sky

- solar activity (or moment of the year)

You can only control the place where you are whereas the 2 others parameters are linked to random.

Into a flight simulation programm, you are able to control all and therefore, you force the chance

To anyone having information or special experience with northern lights, feel free to share it with me :)

1 hour ago, Richard Bui said:

To anyone having information or special experience with northern lights, feel free to share it with me :)

I guess that you are already familiar with this internett links,but in case not this could bring your interess on.

The university center in Svalbard

The university center in Svalbard/arctic-geophysics

Universitetet i Tromsø

Articles about the northern lights

7 hours ago, Dom Mason said:

Dom Mason

Assuming that a captain can also watch this phenomenon from its cockpit at 35 000 feet ?

Dom

This is for FSX as well, isn't it? 

I'll have to go back to bush flying in Alaska :), where the original FS9 aurora effect would put out a show quite often. Very much looking forward to this treat.

5 hours ago, Richard Bui said:

Richard, earlier in my military career, I was in Alaska for several months for northern warfare arctic training. There were two nights where we were sitting out in the middle of nowhere in the Alaskan wilds, and across the night sky it looked like someone started running a yellowish green paintbrush across the sky. It was very surreal, as we were surrounded by the silence of snow covered wintry woodlands, but it was a crystal clear night. To be honest, the first thought I had back then was that it looked like it was the invisible hand of some higher being (deity even?) running a paintbrush back and forth across the night sky. The 'paint' would disappear a few seconds after the 'brush' passed, and then more would appear. This sequence lasted for a few hours that night, and then the next night we saw a similar effect. The peacefulness of the whole episode has always stuck with me, and is a constant reminder of one of the many majestic, beautiful feats of nature that exist on our great Earth.

Very nice! I had the pleasure of seeing the lights from a 747 flight from Seattle to Frankurt last month! Looking forward to see them in sim :)

Very clever idea!!! 

But what the Aurora Australis??? - This could also be included in the Lights package.. :)

Aurora australis (also known as the southern lights, and southern polar lights) is the southern hemisphere counterpart to the aurora borealis. In the sky, anaurora australis takes the shape of a curtain of light, or a sheet, or a diffuse glow; it most often is green, sometimes red, and occasionally other colors too.

11 hours ago, Richard Bui said:

What a great idea!

We see them at this latitude in Wisconsin, USA, too...but I've seen them only 3-4 times myself in my 40+ years here.

Once, growing up in Southern Wisconsin (only an hour's drive from the Illinois border) I saw a display of lights that covered the entire sky in shimmering, changing bands of bright green, yellow, and blood red - even overhead stretching to the southern sky.    The other times it was more green.   At all times eerily beautiful.

Steve

13 hours ago, Richard Bui said:

I have had one very faint experience with them, and another much much stronger one from a plane. At faintest, they look like green, faint, clouds. At strongest, they look just like they do in the movies. I saw green aurora with slight amount of red just below them, with a sharp white light dividing the two.

When i first questioned in a post about the Northern Lights Richard asked of any experiences of sighting this phenominem. I explained that very often the effects can last for quite a while and they are not necessarily just brief one off incidents. As Sniper recalls his sightings lasted for several hours. I hope that therefore the timing duration in Richard's addon will maybe allow the effect duration to be adjusted by the user. I say this because in his ENJA addon the timing/duration is very brief. It would be a really nice experience to be flying with such an awsome (in the correct meaning of the word) light show going on.

21 hours ago, Dom Mason said:

Dom Mason

Hi,

Polar lights are planned for the North Pole following the forecast map. For the South Pole, I'll make it more basic.

17 hours ago, miinuskolm said:

Yes, I was wrong ! I have not personally never seen in Estonia Aurora Borealis but some people  is seen and filmed ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2aO2ds9kBs

Wonderful, very instructive video. thank you

14 hours ago, Dom Mason said:

Assuming that a captain can also watch this phenomenon from its cockpit at 35 000 feet ?

Dom

I can consider that point by spawing for beyond 35000 ft. For the time being they are cast at 8000/12000 Ft to be view at low altitude or from the ground

13 hours ago, ruilaureano said:

This is for FSX as well, isn't it? 

I'll have to go back to bush flying in Alaska :), where the original FS9 aurora effect would put out a show quite often. Very much looking forward to this treat.

Yes, both FSX/P3D

8 hours ago, Rafael Reca said:

Very clever idea!!! 

But what the Aurora Australis??? - This could also be included in the Lights package.. :)

Aurora australis (also known as the southern lights, and southern polar lights) is the southern hemisphere counterpart to the aurora borealis. In the sky, anaurora australis takes the shape of a curtain of light, or a sheet, or a diffuse glow; it most often is green, sometimes red, and occasionally other colors too.

Yes, Southern Lights should come too. In fact, they technically the same than the Northern ones

11 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Richard, earlier in my military career, I was in Alaska for several months for northern warfare arctic training. There were two nights where we were sitting out in the middle of nowhere in the Alaskan wilds, and across the night sky it looked like someone started running a yellowish green paintbrush across the sky. It was very surreal, as we were surrounded by the silence of snow covered wintry woodlands, but it was a crystal clear night. To be honest, the first thought I had back then was that it looked like it was the invisible hand of some higher being (deity even?) running a paintbrush back and forth across the night sky. The 'paint' would disappear a few seconds after the 'brush' passed, and then more would appear. This sequence lasted for a few hours that night, and then the next night we saw a similar effect. The peacefulness of the whole episode has always stuck with me, and is a constant reminder of one of the many majestic, beautiful feats of nature that exist on our great Earth.

What a fantastic experience ! Auroras are not static and seeing them moving in the sky is something really magic. I missed them in Lapland during Winter because of bad weather.

5 hours ago, Republic DC-9 said:

What a great idea!

We see them at this latitude in Wisconsin, USA, too...but I've seen them only 3-4 times myself in my 40+ years here.

Once, growing up in Southern Wisconsin (only an hour's drive from the Illinois border) I saw a display of lights that covered the entire sky in shimmering, changing bands of bright green, yellow, and blood red - even overhead stretching to the southern sky.    The other times it was more green.   At all times eerily beautiful.

Steve

I'm collecting statistic to build a large library of all colors people could see.

1 hour ago, jjaycee1 said:

When i first questioned in a post about the Northern Lights Richard asked of any experiences of sighting this phenominem. I explained that very often the effects can last for quite a while and they are not necessarily just brief one off incidents. As Sniper recalls his sightings lasted for several hours. I hope that therefore the timing duration in Richard's addon will maybe allow the effect duration to be adjusted by the user. I say this because in his ENJA addon the timing/duration is very brief. It would be a really nice experience to be flying with such an awsome (in the correct meaning of the word) light show going on.

Duration of the lights can off course be ajusted. As depending to the solar activity, they can last from some seconds to hours. In fact, if the effect is too long into FSX, you start to get stutters. I have to find the limits not to go beyond

No mut täähän on helevetin kiva!

= Nice!

This is great, Richard! I'm really looking forward to this one!

BTW the Aurora Borealis is not bound to the North only. It can even be seen in Southern Europe during intense solar activity.

Looking forward to this Richard  thanks regards Stewart

Here in Manitoba, Canada, they'll usually start in August north of 50-55 degrees north. I flew for a living based out of Manitoba since the mid 1990s till retirement last year. They are quite prominent here and from the cockpit, beautiful. It's really a memorable experience to take off at night in snow and punch through the tops into a display of northern lights. I really look forward to this add on. Please consider having the northern lights visible at latitudes south of your current plan. Thanks.

Dave

28 minutes ago, porsche said:

Here in Manitoba, Canada, they'll usually start in August north of 50-55 degrees north. I flew for a living based out of Manitoba since the mid 1990s till retirement last year. They are quite prominent here and from the cockpit, beautiful. It's really a memorable experience to take off at night in snow and punch through the tops into a display of northern lights. I really look forward to this add on. Please consider having the northern lights visible at latitudes south of your current plan. Thanks.

Dave

I'll do. Here's what is initially planned for North America:

FTX_Auroras_NA.jpg

For quite a few years i flew forest fire suppression aircraft and I spent a lot of time at The Pas (CYQD) which is approx 54 degrees north. In August after sundown on quite a few evenings the northern lights would be out. Along with cooler nights, dew on the grass the northern lights for us was a sign the fire season was wrapping up and in a few weeks we'd be on our way home....a nice thing to associate the first sightings of northern lights. I had a trailer I lived in (while there) at the airport about 20 miles away from the town  so the nights were dark and the stars and northern lights were great to watch.

In FS2004 the northern lights were there but disappeared in fsx....always missed them. Enjoyed a flight in fs2004 going from Winnipeg (CYWG) to Thompson (CYTH) at FL310 in a 737 and seeing the northern lights come out above me.

I didn't know about the link for the northern lights forecast. Thank you.

Dave

The FS9 aurora effect is missing in FSX.? True, I have never witnessed it but I assumed I simply haven't spent enough time up north. Very curious about how this effect will look like, if it is based on the FS9 effect or something different. 

Regards!

I was fortunate to see aurora borealis twice in my life, once in February 1975 just 10 miles north of Quebec city and another time in October 1997 in Ste-Julie Quebec (south shore of Montreal but about 20km so sky was dark enough)

Also saw it only once in FSX in January 2007 on a flight from CYVR to CYUL over Alberta must still have snapshot of it somewhere, will post them when I find them later tonight

Alain from Montreal