Stillwater

Into the Night

23 posts in this topic

One of my all-time favourite flights, inspired by a good friend. Set the time to about 30 minutes before dawn, take off in @Ken Hall´s OZx work at Wynyard, and enjoy...

 

Table cape at the "right" end of the island...

2017-2-12_18-28Wynyard.jpg

 

... and the city of Penguin already starts to turn on the lights.
2017-2-12_18-34Penguin.jpg

 

Approaching Devonport...
2017-2-12_18-39Devonport.jpg

 

... and crossing the Rubicon at Port Sorell.
2017-2-12_18-44PortSorell.jpg

 

Bakers Beach, too late to see the PeopleFlow of Swimmers here.
2017-2-12_18-48BakersBeach.jpg

 

The mouth of Tamar River at George Town.

2017-2-12_18-50GeorgeTown.jpg
2017-2-12_18-51-31-113.jpg

 

Bell Bay and the Rio Tinto Alcan works.
2017-2-12_18-52BellBay.jpg
2017-2-12_18-53RioTintoAlcan.jpg
2017-2-12_18-55-17-840.jpg

 

Launceston downtown.
2017-2-12_19-4LauncestonCBD.jpg

 

Still enough light for a VFR flight, ... but maybe no bad idea to have a bit of instrument support when approaching the 34...
2017-2-12_19-7YMLT.jpg

 

A perfect place to park with a warm welcome. Or perhaps a cold one?
2017-2-12_19-18AeroClub.jpg

 

Thanks to those two (part-time) Tasmanians who created the scenery additions & the inspiration for me. I love it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grand set of shots.

cheers

Iain

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A great set Gerold. I too love this trip and the NW area of Tassie. There is an excursion I can't resist when near Devonport though - to veer inland to Mt Roland and land at Claude Rd Airstrip (was this one of Ken's masterpieces as well?)


Anton via Tapatalk Pro

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful shots Gerold :rolleyes:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Gerald, very kind words

great set, I saw you fly over my house at Shearwater, did you see me wave, I keep promising myself to do Devonport, knowing you guys enjoy the Tas Scenery is added incentive.

cheers

Ken

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, antonvs said:

A great set Gerold. I too love this trip and the NW area of Tassie. There is an excursion I can't resist when near Devonport though - to veer inland to Mt Roland and land at Claude Rd Airstrip (was this one of Ken's masterpieces as well?)


Anton via Tapatalk Pro

Haha Cla use rd was my very 1st strip, discovered it while installing the local farmers Satellite dish, had no modelling skills then.

I think one day when finances permit I'd like to do the whole of Taz as a mini region experience pack, use the drone to get all the landmarks like Stanley's Nut, Cradle mountain, Hobart international and Cambridge( not with the drone). Plus all the rest of Tassies top spots. One day, lol

cheers

Ken

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All right Ken, now you are talking. I'll be waiting.


Anton via Tapatalk Pro

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice set of shots.  Very nice indeed.  At least if you were running low on gas, looks like that Shell Station was open.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Highly evocative caps... a great combo of natural and artificial light B)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bringing back some great memories from years ago with this part of Tasmania Gerold.

Went to Bakers Beach many time a fantastic place for walking.

I also did the long haul flight in a Kendel SAAB 340 from Wynyard to Devonport.

12 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

Thanks Gerald, very kind words

great set, I saw you fly over my house at Shearwater, did you see me wave, I keep promising myself to do Devonport, knowing you guys enjoy the Tas Scenery is added incentive.

cheers

Ken

I always wondered where in Tas you lived Ken. My ex sister in law used to own a Pharmacy at Shearwater getting on for 30 years ago now.

A great view from Hawley Beach across to Bakers Beach, magical part of the world.

I like the idea of an experience pack for the island, how great would it be to go with all the OZx airports.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such a scenic and serene flight, well done.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for watching & commenting, @Iain Emms, @RetiredFE, @Mark Abdey, @mikee, @Bermuda425, @adambar and @[email protected]!

 

15 hours ago, antonvs said:

A great set Gerold. I too love this trip and the NW area of Tassie. There is an excursion I can't resist when near Devonport though - to veer inland to Mt Roland and land at Claude Rd Airstrip (was this one of Ken's masterpieces as well?)
Anton via Tapatalk Pro

Indeed Anton, Mt. Roland is an icon which is well worth a little excursion. Will do... including Claude Road International.

 

15 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

Thanks Gerald, very kind words

great set, I saw you fly over my house at Shearwater, did you see me wave, I keep promising myself to do Devonport, knowing you guys enjoy the Tas Scenery is added incentive.

cheers

Ken

I was wondering why there was some lonely PeopleFlow around, and I´ll pay Shearwater another virtual visit, promised!

[PS: What a great place to live... :)]

 

14 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

Haha Cla use rd was my very 1st strip, discovered it while installing the local farmers Satellite dish, had no modelling skills then.

I think one day when finances permit I'd like to do the whole of Taz as a mini region experience pack, use the drone to get all the landmarks like Stanley's Nut, Cradle mountain, Hobart international and Cambridge( not with the drone). Plus all the rest of Tassies top spots. One day, lol

cheers

Ken

I keep my fingers crossed that your finances permit this soon. Pure egoism B) ... I would be amongst the first customers to jump in here. As I would be for any payware upgrade of Launceston or St. Helens. One day...

Keeping in mind Tasmania is Orbx freeware such an experience pack might even be attracting newbies?!

 

12 hours ago, PDX Flyer said:

Very nice set of shots.  Very nice indeed.  At least if you were running low on gas, looks like that Shell Station was open.

They seem to have 24/7 service, I do not know if they sell gas or only Cascade during the night.

 

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Bringing back some great memories from years ago with this part of Tasmania Gerold.

Went to Bakers Beach many time a fantastic place for walking.

I also did the long haul flight in a Kendel SAAB 340 from Wynyard to Devonport.

I always wondered where in Tas you lived Ken. My ex sister in law used to own a Pharmacy at Shearwater getting on for 30 years ago now.

A great view from Hawley Beach across to Bakers Beach, magical part of the world.

I like the idea of an experience pack for the island, how great would it be to go with all the OZx airports.

You lucky guy had the chance to walk on this fantastic beach at Tassies warmest coast.

I also envy these long haul flight experience, sure you did not risk to get a thrombosis onboard.

Edited by Stillwater
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent shots Gerold!  I love the lights belt, they're beautiful.  And is there really people flow?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Great and informative trip Gerold.

Thank you, Ben!

 

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent shots Gerold!  I love the lights belt, they're beautiful.  And is there really people flow?

The lights effect is even better when you see it in movement. The BeachPeopleFlow was - unfortunately - just my fantasy.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Thank you, Ben!

 

The lights effect is even better when you see it in movement. The BeachPeopleFlow was - unfortunately - just my fantasy.

:lol:B)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant shots Gerold, and only warm welcomes down here.

Mind you today is bloody freezing, around 16 deg for this time of summer.

Global freezing I guess.:unsure:

cheers

Gumby

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, amentiba said:

very nice set of shots !

Thanks, Amentiba!

 

4 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Brilliant shots Gerold, and only warm welcomes down here.

Mind you today is bloody freezing, around 16 deg for this time of summer.

Global freezing I guess.:unsure:

cheers

Gumby

Thanks mate, tropical temperatures on your island, here it is getting up to 6 today. I have to turn on the carburator heat during flight ;).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.