John Venema

announcement
New ObjectFlow2 is now in beta testing

71 posts in this topic

Neat!  I can't wait for it to be released!

Thanks Orbx for all your hard work to make this possible.

Hopefully this means Vector is not to far off either.

5 minutes ago, John Venema said:

We now 100% own Vector (we have ended our multi-year license deal with PILOT'S) and we also own the source files so we will work to bring it in line with our other FTX global products. This is a long term commitment so please bear with us while we integrate Vector and OLC into a unified product over the next year.

John,

Could you please elaborate on "over next year"? Does it mean that it's still long road before Vector will be released.

35 minutes ago, John Venema said:

We now 100% own Vector

Hoo-bloody-ray! I may well even re-install it! :)

Thanks, i really miss my orbx airports....  Glad to see innovation around :-)

Happy Flying!

4 hours ago, G-YMML said:

John,

Could you please elaborate on "over next year"? Does it mean that it's still long road before Vector will be released.

I could be wrong but what I think he means is Vector and OLC will be combined into one product over the next year, still think Vector for v4 will be released before, but I am more interested in that statement from John.

Does this mean that we will be getting worldwide OLC data in the next year?? :D

You may say I'm a dreamer, but i'm not the only one... ;)

DITTO !!

John, 

A good way to get around the Vector problem would be more FAT areas :D

Dale

13 hours ago, John Venema said:

We now 100% own Vector (we have ended our multi-year license deal with PILOT'S) and we also own the source files so we will work to bring it in line with our other FTX global products. This is a long term commitment so please bear with us while we integrate Vector and OLC into a unified product over the next year.

Before unification happens, are we going to see a separate Vectors for V4? I mean, next year is so far away :unsure:

Hi John

Great news on Objectflow 2, I would also like some clarification on release of Vectors for V4, is this  going to be a standalone product or included in future OLC. I ask because I'm waiting to build my P3D V4 scenery and awaiting release of vectors first.

Thanks

Paul

ID: 51   Posted (edited)

IMO, Vector needs to become modular in nature instead of a "one product covers the entire world".  Presently the data is not up to par with some other third-party vector addons, and until that changes I would like to be able to buy the upcoming South America Open Landclass and be able to activate ONLY the South America portion of Vector.  I don't want Vector messing with my other geographical areas that currently have better vector data that works fine with FTX Global in those areas.

I'm hoping JV is saying, "We are going to include the Vector data WITH the Open Landclass product, without the user having to install the entire world of Vector just to get it for that geographic area."

Edited by FalconAF

14 hours ago, G-YMML said:

John,

Wouldn't mind knowing that as well. Hopefully they release something to hold us over until the new and improved product is tested and worked on during the next year.

I'd join others here looking for clarification of the "over the next year" statement. I really hope that doesn't mean that Vector will not be ready for v4 in any form prior to that timeframe. That would be incredibly disappointing, and also hard to understand, given the screenshots of the South America LC product we've seen with Vector working in v4.

James

Have to agree, I was hoping for a quick release of Vector for v4, the default coastlines are pretty rough in most places.

Perhaps release it as-is for existing customers, then integrate it gradually into OpenLC ?

As each OpenLC is updated, the corresponding region could be removed from the old Vector.

If it is going be be months and I do hope it isn't I might have to pick up UTX. :wacko:

Would also like to know if Vector is going to released (in the near future) for P3Dv4 before unification with OLC.

On 11/7/2017 at 11:54 PM, Sniper31 said:

This is the news many of you all have been earnestly waiting for! Thank you JV and Orbx for the work and the update on the progress!

+++111

On 11/07/2017 at 10:49 PM, John Venema said:

OF2 replicates all the functionality of the original ObjectFlow.dll but has been completely written from the ground up to be extendable to add many new exciting functions, including our own animated jetway system, interaction with avatars, dynamic events and animations - pretty much anything we want to do. The idea is to take the living world you see in Orbx sceneries today to a whole new level over the coming year(s).

I suspect this living world may only be possible in 64bit but lets wait n see

This would of course quickly reduce the FSX customer base of OrbX from the current 1/3 as JV stated in the now locked FSX thread from a few days ago

FSX will be supported as JV said, as long as it is economically viable

ID: 58   Posted (edited)

Vector took the "brunt of ill will" when VAS OOMs were a cancer, now that the VAS OOM cancer has been eradicated, Vector is wanted badly. I personally preferred Vector over most other features. I just flew in less busy areas but I did not sacrifice Vector. Now, I hope all that "ill will" is not coming back to haunt the community.:unsure:   

Edited by pracines

My goodness you guys seem to gleen so much conjecture from simple statements :)

Vector for V4 is being released ASAP as a stand-alone product like it is in V3 - there are technical issues we're still overcoming and a lot of new data for South America being added, thus the delay.

Down the road we will likely split Vector and roll it into the various OLC regions to combine them as a single product, but that has not been confirmed yet - it's just the current thinking of the team.

John,

The little detail of you owning and developing the Vector product outright is a pretty big news item, in my humble estimation.  Really cool goings on here.  Perhaps worthy of a new thread, or if nothing else, an anchor tenant in a new 'roadmap 2017' thread?

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:10 PM, RancidViper said:

You may say I'm a dreamer, but i'm not the only one... ;)

Imagine all the simmers....

Great news OF2 is expandable.
Have you already thought of people reacting on passing taxyïng planes (turning their heads towards it to see it, e.g.)?

Realy appreciated, your ongoing efforts to improve and adapt your products to fit new versions of fs.

Kind regards,

Bram Stikkel

DSC08634.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cosxgGJawsY

Hi JV,

Great information !

So with 64 Bits, some standards can change. Orbx mesh standard is actually 5 m but there are 1m meshes avalaible. Do you plan finer standard in the future for your products ?

John, hugely appreciate the clarification! That's a big relief. Thanks.

James

2 hours ago, Simu67 said:

Orbx mesh standard is actually 5 m but there are 1m meshes avalaible. Do you plan finer standard in the future for your products ?

Hello,

This question gives me a chance to try out a little graphic I made to illustrate this issue which has to do in part with the elevation of objects.

The drawing tries to show that the elevation of objects can be greatly influenced by the choice of mesh setting especially on steep hillsides. So rather than needing one mesh setting for one Orbx airport and different one for another airport, a practical standard was chosen long ago. To change to another standard would require that many products would need to have the developer (who may or may not be currently active) check and possibly redo a significant number of elevations. And because elevation issues are common, the product would probably need beta testing again.  I think you can see the implications.

More explanation:

The sim uses the datum of a model as the reference point when setting the elevation based on the ground surface. Model datums (ie zero reference points) are often at a corner of the model because it can be easier to make them this way. I hope the illustration shows how this can result in the elevation of the model in the sim being significantly influenced by the mesh setting.

mesh resolution.JPG

Very clear !

Thank you !

Hopefully this is coming along nicely and being a week later is not too far away

Perhaps I missed something, not reading all comments in this topic. Bu it seems to me, that the week has more than gone. How can I see, when ESSA is avaiable for P3Dv4????