John Lovell

Is Canberra city scape still in the works?

44 posts in this topic

Is Canberra City scape still in the works?

I know you guys are steaming ahead with many amazing releases, but just thougt id ask

Thanks Wolter... Well worth the wait! :)

Sure will be John.

cheers

Iain

Yes, it's making good progress but will miss out on the xmas releases, although we're aiming for early 2012.

Here's a quick snap from a test flight just now heading over the airport towards the city with the latest CityScape beta installed. Notice the FPS with the FTX Day mode on, with Extremely Dense autogen :)

Posted Image

The sensation of flying over this entire city with custom autogen is quite remarkable really.

Great ! The combo seems really working fine !

Early next year.. wonderful..and will be prepay.. the wait is almost over. Teecee.

Wow, thats really amazing work John..

Thanks for the teaser :)

Looks like I will be building my computer just in time :) Can't wait guys YSCB here I come LOL

Incredible scenery, will compliment the YSCB scenery well, I will not want to leave the Canberra area :)

Amazing! Will it be freeware like the Portland CityScape?

Amazing! Will it be freeware like the Portland CityScape?

LOL!

Two guys have been working on this project for two years. Autogen annotation is the most labour-intensive task in all of FS development, and we're fairly confident this product contains the largest area of the most densly hand-annotated photoreal scenery every released for FSX, by quite some margin. We should charge $200 for it, but it will be 32.95 instead.

Speaking as a Canberra resident that's great news, and it looks fantastic! :-)

Well you should have done where I live , its only got 4 shops !! ....could be done during your coffee break :lol:

I only recently picked up YSCB, which is already an awesome area! This will be worth every penny!

LOL!

Two guys have been working on this project for two years. Autogen annotation is the most labour-intensive task in all of FS development, and we're fairly confident this product contains the largest area of the most densly hand-annotated photoreal scenery every released for FSX, by quite some margin. We should charge $200 for it, but it will be 32.95 instead.

Oh Haha I see! I just thought that because of the Portland scenery, but I didn't know that it covered the ENTIRE city. That's awesome! I understand that it must be a very hard process to make the scenery, and I agree that 33 bucks is WAY underpriced :D

Although assume that all this autogen will have an enourmous impact on performance? Or will you guys at Orbx use you magical secret fairy dust to minimize the FPS impact? :P

Canberra is my favourite Large airport, and even without the cityscape it's a great place for spotting checkpoints and doing various approaches. I spend many happy hours flying over this area, and I can imagine that when this is released (3-4 months, from what John has said) we will see many people using the area to practice their real life flying, as well as numerous hours of touch and goes. Teecee.

was just about to ask this question myself, will be a day one pickup, thanks for the update!

actually I think I remember reading about a Newcastle cityscape a while back, is that still in the works?

Quite possible I imagined it though, search isnt returning much...

Looks great JV, looking forward to this when it's released.

Looks great John and team. Would be cheap at twice the price. Don't take me at my word though.

Looking great and really looking forward to it! Are we going to see any other cityscapes? Like say, Hobart? Adelaide? And what happened to Perth?

Really looking forward to this one! Will prepay Cityscape Canberra the instant I see prepay is up. Wondering how far does the bounderies of the scenery stretch, does it include Cityscape Bungendore? If so, there is a great windfarm near Lake George that would be spectacular to model.

LOL!

Hi John,

I am confused, recently purchased Canberra Airport and on Page 3 of the user guide it says in part " We'd also like to especially thank Maurizio Giorgi for his autogen annotation. His work as part of this YSCB airport project is a sneak preview of the all-new CityScape Canberra which will be released in 2011 as a separate complimentary addon. For the first time ever Orbx will have created an entire city with every single building hand-placed. Look out for this CityScape expansion pack to make your enjoyment of YSCB even more immersive!

Forget about the release date we can always wait for good quality products from Orbx, but can you please explain the wording in bold above, what does it mean?

The bold wording means that Canberra Cityscape (still in production) will be a separate addon (separate from the YSCB airport addon)

thanks for your quick reply Ian, I am still confused, I did a search of the database prior to posting my question about Cityscape and it does say released 2012, that is not what I am confused about, I note you leave out the word complimentary in your reply to me, this is the part I am confused about, what does complimentary mean to you?

Hi there,

he he, nice catch of a common typo: http://www.thinctanc...ompliments.html

The correct word here is "complementary" as in Cityscape Canberra will work well together with Canberra Airport. Both are separate payware add-ons.

Cheers, Holger

That's how I always thought of it. The two will "compliment each other".

And with the quality of all of the Orbx products, they will do so seamlessly.

Also with the new rules, I patiently await the release whenever it is finished, without further requests for dates, etc.

A suggestion though to the resellers, in view of no pre-pay or coming release announcements ..... I think an auto email to all customers, announcing the release would be appreciated. Some of us do not or can not get to the forums as often as we wish.

I remember the emails announcing the release of items that I used to be able to prepay.

I think that happens automatically Benny, but if not, it's a good suggestion. Teecee.

I have been away from the forums for a while, have searched but can't find any recent references to this, is it still on the cards or has it been dumped?

Edit - okay just read John's roadmap which includes YSCB Cityscape as a product that is being worked on......can't wait, though I hope I haven't moved from Canberra by the time it's released! ;-)

Last I heard just about all the annotation (placement) of the houses and trees etc was pretty well finished, but there still remained the not inconsiderable task of modelling the city centre which probably involves nearly as much work as a small airport just on its own.

And yes I'm hanging out for this one too... can't take short cuts with quality unfortunately.

Also can't wait to experience flying above this certainly great modelled urban area once it's released!

But as always: Good things take their time to evolve!

Yep still no.1 on my wish list of FTX products. Waiting patiently for its release.

Here are the most recent shots of the work in progress:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ooooooh - very nice!

I'm really looking forward to this!

Cheers

Mallard

WOW! Thanks John that looks fantastic, I live quite close to the War Memorial, it's going to be great fun flying around my own neighbourhood.