aujeffk

Cresswell flag Has been replaced!

17 posts in this topic

I'll post pictures when I'm back in town, but wanted to let everyone know that the Creswell flag has been replaced. The airport administrator communicated this today.

Thanks for keeping us informed and my apologies for not putting in my 2 cents when during the previous discussion (in my defense I was halfway between one country and another!)

As a matter of interest here is the reference shot, taken by our intrepid photographer Kevin,that the flag was modeled on.

Posted Image

We'll replace it with a shiny new one as soon as we have a chance!

Greg

Good for you Greg,

There were several people with an honest concern for the flag's condiiton and you are honoring their patriotism. I look forward to flying the new flag when its available. Hobby is a terrific field with great building and land features and the hop down to Monroe is the cherry on top. Thank you.

Cal

This is very cool....And a good lesson on the US Flag.

I always considered that American Pride the glue that keeps the country together, those 50 States are so different from one another. Anyone driving across the USA will see different accents and culture as they drive from state to state, but the national pride is what remains common ground.

Cheers Guys

Wow what I cool example of how the virtual world has influenced real life.... Makes me proud to be a flight simmer and an American !

We'll replace it with a shiny new one as soon as we have a chance!

Greg

With all due respect to our American friends, please make that an optional replacement.

(With all due respect to our American friends, please make that an optional replacement.)

I think that ORBX is doing a very very great job (instead of placing a PARADE flag, they going for the real thing and i like it very mutch, because it gives realisme to FSX,

The next thing will be: Alert,Alert ORBX is comming...! Paint your houses without, it its just an ordinery Airstrip in FSX, and i se no need to buy it. Call the kommandant. O0

With all due respect to our American friends, please make that an optional replacement.

Henrik

Another thing. I dont se this as a real Flag, becourse you cant take it down for the night...(se Gregs picture).

In Denmark we always, always take the Flag down (with the sun) and it will go up at Dawn(with the sun), if it dont, you have a serious problem with your nabors.

We have a very extended flag culture in Denmark so i know what you (US) is thinking about (and of course patriotism).

But the real thing is the real thing (and i love it).

Thats all folks

Henrik

Another thing. I dont se this as a real Flag, becourse you cant take it down for the night...(se Gregs picture).

In Denmark we always, always take the Flag down (with the sun) and it will go up at Dawn(with the sun), if it dont, you have a serious problem with your nabors.

We have a very extended flag culture in Denmark so i know what you (US) is thinking about (and of course patriotism).

Thats all folks

Henrik

This was never an issue with ORBX. It was an issue with the airport. The flag should have never been flown in that condition. It has now been replaced with a correct flag. So, if you really want it to be "authentic" as it stands today, a proper flag is now being flown. I find it interesting that people are getting defensive about it being replaced ("make it optional").

I think it is absolutely great that a flight simulation / ORBX authenticity has impacted this situation. I think the airport manager might have been a little embarrassed at first, but is now proud that the flag is flying in a proper way.

Btw - A US flag doesn't have to come down at dusk, so long as it is illuminated at night.

Thats all folks

Henrik

Indeed this issue cropped up during development Henrik. The Australian tradition is the same with the lowering and rasing at dusk/dawn so I when I saw a photo of the 77S flag flying at dusk I thought it odd. A little Google-ing revealed what Jeff has justed pointed out - as long as the US flag is lit then it can be flown at night.

Personally I like the modelled flag as it is. Given that it flies presumably day and night all year round I would expect it to be rather weatherbeaten. I think it gives it a steadfast character.

Nevertheless we'll review the flag when it comes time for a service pack though bear in mind that our plate is rather full at the moment!

Well you learn something new here i never new about this, as long as the US flag is lit then it can be flown at night.

cheers

Iain

Sorry for beeing at bit grumpy yesterday.

It is OK with me, if ORBX replace the old flag, but you (aujeffk) better keep an eye on "Der Kommandant" & the great Flag in the future :ph34r: ,becaurse about, lets say, 2-3 month, (as Greg pointed) the ORBX

Scenery wount be correct anymore, thats the reason for the option. ::)

Best regards

Henrik

Not "getting defensive" at all. I just know that for a lot of Americans, their flag is a very touchy subject ;) . I just like that worn flag because it fits very well with a fairly "rural" airport, so IMHO it's more authentic (besides, it was beautifully modelled). There are probably thousands of flags like that in the US. So it was a merely a simple request to Orbx that if they were to replace it, we would be able to choose ourselves: those of us who want a pristine flag could have it, while those that prefer the "ragged" one could still have that one :) .

Hey I am fine with it as optional ,after all what better describes America than a land of options and opportunities ;D

Personally I like the modelled flag as it is. Given that it flies presumably day and night all year round I would expect it to be rather weatherbeaten. I think it gives it a steadfast character.

"Weatherbeaten" yes, but not to that extent! We in the US have a flag code that states under Respect For The Flag, "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning". Granted that code is not law, nor is the "condition" when it is no longer fitting specific, but please, how much judgement is required to determine when it's time for replacement? Have values changed so much that one cannot determine was is respectfully fitting?

A tattered flag should be hemmed, if not replaced. In that regard, there are individuals and organizations that will replace a worn flag if the flyer cannot afford to, and many organizations such as The Boy Scouts, will appropriately dispose of a flag. As patriotic it is for an organization or individual to fly the flag (vice not), it should be done with due respect.

Greg, I appreciate ORBX's willingness to consider modeling Creswell's proper new flag, and am glad Tim Harris hasn't abruptly closed down this thread like he did the original that brought up the flag "issue". To wit, he said,

"Aujeffk, you'll need to take this up with the real life airport yourself if you have a problem, feel free to share the photos of the new flag with us when you get them,

We all have our own flags and associated rules around the world, however I would also like to remind people that this is a only a simulation, a game on a computer, and we only try to replicate what we see

Topic closed."

Wow.

Gene K

Greg has acknowledged that the flag will be looked in to for a service pack. On that note this topic has run its course and there is no need to allow it to degrade. This is after all a flying simulator, not a flag simulator

Thank you Alex for stepping in, this is exactly why I closed the last topic.

We all have our own flags and associated rules around the world, however I would also like to remind people that this is a only a simulation, a game on a computer, and we only try to replicate what we see

Cheers

Tim